Best Squirrel Deterrents
11–12 minutes to read | Updated for 2018
Whether you are dealing with squirrels overtaking or damaging birdfeeders, building nests in your attic, or increasing the risk of rabies or disease-carrying fleas around your pets, these rodents can be an aggravating issue.
If the squirrels are gorging themselves on your birdfeeders, you have likely seen it over and over and know it’s a problem. If you hear scratching, rustling, or clicking type of sounds in your attic or roof, or see signs of droppings, there’s a good chance you have an infestation. Prevention is best, so using deterrents to keep squirrels out of your attic is a smart move.
Squirrels can not only spread dangerous diseases to both pets and humans but can also damage electrical components and insulation in your house. Squirrels are rodents with front incisor teeth that never stop growing. So, they’re always in search for something to nibble on to keep these front teeth the right size. This can cause wiring damage and even create fire hazards in your home.
You might have any number of these issues or concerns, but also feel opposed to using poison or traps. Perhaps you just want them to stay away from your flower beds or bird seed. It’s because of these reasons we’ve rounded up our top five squirrel deterrents for 2018.
What’s In This Guide
- Measures 7” x 7” x 16”
- Roughly $16 for one decoy.
- Weighs 11.2 ounces.
- Removable cap on bottom for inserting weight to hold decoy down.
- Can be moved around from porches to gardens—wherever needed.
- Lightweight for easy portability.
- Vibrant eyes to scare off squirrels.
- Realistic size of a bird of prey.
- Can be weighted via hole on the bottom.
- Hand-painted in the USA.
- Some customers only found it effective for a short time.
- Measures 20.2” x 5” x 3.8”
- Weighs 10.4 ounces.
- The company offers a money back guarantee.
- $17.50 for one decoy.
- Thick string and metal circle hook for hanging.
- Deterrent for all sorts of small rodents.
- Realistic wing-span and eyes to deter rodents.
- Can move with the wind to aid in scaring off pests.
- Daytime hunting bird of prey to scare daytime rodents.
- Life-like eyes.
- Wings can be removed for easier storage.
- Some customers found it ineffective, especially in deterring other birds.
- Measures 14.6” x 8.3” x 1.3”
- Item weight is 6.5 pounds.
- Just under $17 for a set of three.
- Made of steel and marbles.
- Stakes and hooks included.
- Excellent customer ratings
- Attractive visual deterrent.
- Vivid eyes stand out to scare off rodents.
- Ground hook option offers additional “scare” effect of subtle movement of cats.
- Pack of three for larger yards.
- Low price for three-pack.
- Galvanized steel for extended wear.
- If cats are left in the same place for too long, rodents can catch on.
- Comes in 10’, 24’, 50’, and 100’ lengths.
- Ten-foot strip measures 5” x 5” with spikes.
- Ten-foot strip weighs 1.61 pounds.
- Stainless steel with a poly base.
- Just over $20 to cover 10 feet.
- Ten-year warranty.
- Durable stainless steel.
- Permanent solution.
- Outstanding amount of five-star customer reviews.
- Flexible surface to mold to various shapes.
- Can be installed or held down in numerous ways.
- Also repels most birds.
- Includes 10-year warranty.
- Some intelligent birds can use it as a reinforced nesting area.
- One container is 16 ounces.
- Around $22 for one bottle.
- Use gloves and filter mask while dispensing.
- Can work on up to 30 pounds of bird seed.
- Do not allow the product to get on plants to avoid burning delicate leaves.
- Birds love the flavor.
- Liquid formula won’t blow eye-irritant dust.
- All-natural, 100 percent food grade.
- Non-toxic, just spicy.
- No unsightly visual deterrent.
- Made in the USA.
- Squirrels in specific regions seem unfazed by it.
- Must use caution not to get on skin or in eyes.
- Five-pound bag (4.95 pounds of seed).
- Around $19 for five pounds.
- Seed blend is pre-mixed with spicy seasoning.
- Wear gloves and use caution not to rub eyes when handling.
- Highly rated, especially in northern areas.
- Attracts a variety of birds.
- Can be mixed with Cole’s Sauce for more effective results.
- No visual deterrents to look at in yard.
- Spice does not bother birds but is super-spicy to mammals.
- Ineffective on squirrels in some regions.
find an exterminator near youEnter your zip code to find top rated local pest control