Best Ant Baits
11–13 minutes to read | Updated for 2018
Anyone who has ever had an ant problem in or near their house knows how tough it can be to get rid of the tiny insects. Considering that colony sizes can vary based on location and the types of ants, there is really no telling how many you’re dealing with in your unique situation.
The ants you are noticing are more than likely worker ants. Once these ants find food, they not only bring it back to their colony and their queen, but they bring more workers back with them. A small number of ants can quickly turn into a big problem, which is why it is important to know how to exterminate them.
There is a big difference between ant bait and ant sprays. Ant sprays work at the point of contact, killing only the ants that you see and spray. Ant baits work a bit differently, bringing all the ants from one colony to destroy the whole thing using poison.
This poison will kill off far more ants than if you had just sprayed the ones you saw.
Last update on 2019-07-14 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
What’s In This Guide
- Comes in 1, 2 and 3-packs
- Ready to use
- Sealed station keeps bait fresh until opened
- Can be placed under appliances or other hard to reach areas
- Terro Liquid Ant Baits work to eliminate the whole problem, not just a temporary fix.
- Ant baits attract ants very quickly.
- The packs kill ants you don’t see as well as the ones you do see.
- They are easy to use – once you’ve placed them, you’re done.
- Packs are small and discrete.
- Affordable and available in different amounts.
- The product is not safe for human consumption and should not be used around small children.
- The product is not safe for animal consumption as well and is also not recommended for use around household pets like cats and dogs.
- Comes in 0.375 lb., 1 lb. and 2 lb. jugs
- Seasonal control
- Stops new mounds from forming
- Eliminates different species of ants
- Prevents new mounds from forming
- Ideal for flushing out an entire colony of ants
- Can be used both indoors or outdoors
- Rendered ineffective if it comes into contact with moisture
- It comes in packs of one, two, three, or six
- Kills all forms of household ants
- For use outdoors to kill ants before they get in
- Can be staked into the ground
- Terro Outdoor Liquid Ant Baits are simple to use—just open and place.
- Removeable stakes make it easy to keep cups in place within yards with grass and dirt.
- Delayed active ingredient allows entire colonies to be eliminated.
- Long-lasting cups ensure three months of protection.
- Liquid bait stations are weatherproof and can withstand rain and other outdoor factors.
- Users report that the bait works on fire ants and carpenter ants as well as household ants.
- Some users report that the cups can be difficult to open.
- Packaging can cause the product to become messy; users report it can be easy to spill if you are not very, very careful when opening.
- Comes in a gel tube
- 27 grams per tube
- Effective at killing entire ant colonies
- Made of a sweet bait
- Maxforce Carpenter Ant Bait Gel works to target several kinds of ants, including Acrobat, Cornfield, Honey, Pharaoh, and more.
- The sweet taste of the gel works to attract specifically carpenter ants.
- The gel can easily fill in small crevices and cracks where ants can enter homes.
- Delayed poison ingredients work to attract colonies and kill more ants.
- Maxforce gel works quicker than other baits, ridding users of problems in three to five days.
- The company recommends that customers use a protein bait along with this gel, meaning users have to buy more than one product for full effectiveness.
- The gel is best for small areas, so it’s not a good product for larger problems.
- One tube is a little pricey.
- 9 trays per pack
- Kills all common household ants
- Contains Borax
- EPA registered for indoor and outdoor use
- Harris uses Borax, which is a naturally occurring mineral instead of a chemically developed ingredient.
- Harris is an EPA registered company, meaning they care about environmental safety.
- Borax works like other active ingredients used in baits, slowly killing the entire ant colony.
- Bait trays are easy to use.
- The bait will attract and kill several different kinds of household ants.
- The bait sells at a very affordable price.
- Harris Borax bait does not work on other ants, such as carpenter ants.
- Some users reported the bait works better without the use of the included tray.
- 2 bait compartments for liquid and/or liquid baits
- Multiple entry holes for increased movement
- Tamper proof lid
- Stations are UV resistant
- Unique design keeps the stations in place and protects them from the sun and small children.
- Compartmental design allows users to try two different products at once for better results.
- Green coloring makes these stations more discrete.
- The tamper-resistant lid makes this product safe for use around children and pets.
- They are easy to use and move around.
- Users report they are very durable.
- Users have to purchase their bait separately, as these stations are not pre-filled.
find an exterminator near youEnter your zip code to find top rated local pest control